Meah Wrestling's Official Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meah Wrestling's Official Forums

www.meahwrestling.com

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Wrestler

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bischy
Bischy

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-02-27

The Wrestler Empty
PostSubject: The Wrestler   The Wrestler I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 11:39 am

Randy "The Ram" Robinson (Mickey Rourke) is a professional wrestler from the 1980s, twenty years past his prime, wrestling on the weekends in independent and semi-pro matches for extra money. He is forced to retire completely after a heart attack threatens to kill him the next time he wrestles. He takes a weekend shift at the deli counter at the grocery store where he already works on weekdays, attempts to form a relationship with an aging stripper (Marisa Tomei) and does his best to reconcile with his estranged daughter (Evan Rachel Wood). However, he is drawn to the prospect of a rematch with his old wrestling nemesis the Ayatollah (Ernest Miller), even though the fight may cost him his life.

This is playing in LA and I'll be seeing it sometime soon. A lot of the CZW and RoH rosters make appearances in the film, and Necro Butcher plays a huge role in one of the big main events that was filmed at a RoH taping. I've heard great things about this film, so see it if you get the chance. I'll share my thoughts about it after I see it.
Back to top Go down
Bischy
Bischy

The Wrestler Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wrestler   The Wrestler I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 3:23 pm

Update - Made plans last night with meh peeps to go see it Monday afternoon. We'll be getting lunch at McD's after and mebbey wandering around Hollyweird and Vine 'till it's time to head back home. Depending on how tired I am, expect to see my movie review either Monday night or sometime Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
Bischy
Bischy

The Wrestler Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wrestler   The Wrestler I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 1:49 am

Well I went to see it, haven't been able to review it cuz got busy with school starting again last week and all the pre-semester prep.

I got a little time now, so here goes.

Best damn movie I've seen in a while. It was so worth the two and a half hours to LA on the train, then the 20 mins or so of wandering around to find the ArcLight.... Would have been 10 mins, but my stoopidass missed seeing the sign for the place cuz I got distracted by Amoeba Music which is right next door.

It even got my friends who ain't normally big wrestling fans talking about the diff between what we see on TV every week as opposed to all the pre-planning and cooperation that actually goes into the match.

I had quite a few mark out moments during the film when I spotted some of my fave indy guys in the background of some of the scenes.

I also find it interesting that Vinnie Mac has done his best to talk about how far wrestling has come and distance his product from what was shown in the film, but on some levels wrestling really hasn't changed that much. With the exception of working for one of the 'big two' (WWE or TNGay) wrestling is a lot like how it was portrayed in the movie. Performers on the road a lot, going to whatever bookings they can get, and busting ass to just make a living between wrestling and their 'day job'.

It really shone a light on the indy lifestyle and everything that new talent goes through just trying to get ahead in the business. I gotta give mad props to the director for not glossing over some of the darker stuff, and approaching it in a straightforward way that didn't make light of those aspects or falsely sugar coat them.

All in all, well worth going to see if you get the chance.
Back to top Go down
SteJo_420

SteJo_420

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-04-03

The Wrestler Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wrestler   The Wrestler I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Just saw the movie there thought it was well, sweet didn't like the ending too much though unless they are gonna make a sequel or somthing. What everybody else make of the ending? Saying that thought still a great movie
Back to top Go down
Bischy
Bischy

The Wrestler Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wrestler   The Wrestler I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:03 am

Think the ending was meant to get people thinking and spark discussion over if he pushed himself too far in trying to grab the glory of one more match instead of going with his potential girlfriend and living a normal life away from wrestling. As fans we often cheer for our faves to have just one more big match, oftentimes without knowing much if anything about the current quality of life said fave performer is dealing with. While it's a way we show how much we love them that we want to see one more great match, it can also drive some to hang in the business long after the time they should have left.
Back to top Go down
Blaustifft
Admin
Blaustifft

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-02-24

The Wrestler Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wrestler   The Wrestler I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:46 pm

saw it last night as "My Bloody Valentine 3D" was sold out. was an ok film, good insight into the planning of matches and the strain on wrestlers etc, absolutely WANK ending tho
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Wrestler Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wrestler   The Wrestler I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Wrestler
Page 1 of 1