Meah Wrestling's Official Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meah Wrestling's Official Forums

www.meahwrestling.com

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guilds/Unions Suck!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bischy
Bischy

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Guilds/Unions Suck! Empty
PostSubject: Guilds/Unions Suck!   Guilds/Unions Suck! I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 10:31 pm

Well the TV/Radio performers guild is prolly going on strike this summer over residual pay from internet sales. Which translates to STBMe because it means I won't be able to work or even intern this summer without getting blacklisted by the guild and pretty much screwed out of getting any sort of long-term job in radio.

This is why guilds/unions suck. I planned to intern this summer so I could knock off more of my required time to join the guild, so I could join sooner after graduation. I kept this summer free of classes to do that, and now.... 'Sorry, we're not taking on summer interns as we may be on strike in June'.

Which leads me to wonder, if TV talent officially goes on strike, what'll that do to pro wrestling? Are any of them part of the TV performers guild, or part of SAG (which will also be striking come June)? Will top talent be required to strike in support of the guilds?

Thoughts on this, anyone?
Back to top Go down
White Lightning
Admin
White Lightning

Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Guilds/Unions Suck!   Guilds/Unions Suck! I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 5:17 pm

when I saw the word Guild I immediatly thought of Oblivion on the XBOX 360. Lame.

There is a chance that some performers could be in the Union / Guild. Afterall, Wrestlers dont even have their own union (which in my opinion is a good thing, who needs another big shot like Hogan telling people who can get over and who cant).
I myself think that Unions in a general workplace is ok, but when they strike and therefore fucks people over (I.E an intern like yourself) then it seems like they are defeating the purpose of what a union is meant to be.

I really dont know man... just my random thoughts on it
Back to top Go down
https://meahwrestling.darkbb.com
Bischy
Bischy

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Guilds/Unions Suck!   Guilds/Unions Suck! I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 8:20 pm

Yeah, I hear ya man. That's what I get for living in So-Cal though, I decided to go to school out here just to be in the heart of the industry so now I just gotta suck it up and make it through the impending strike just like Howard Stern and Adam Carolla.

Got to talk to my professors a little via e-mail today, since they both work for non-profit npr/public radio stations the strike won't effect them too badly and they'll try to get as many of the juniors and seniors in the program internship jobs at their stations for the summer. Working at a non-profit for little to no pay this summer is the only way to get the internship hours needed to join the guild without getting blacklisted during the strike.

Although I might just not even bother with it and fly out to Texas to spend a few months with my dad and my stepmom instead. At least then I'll be able to live off my pell grant over the summer without worrying.

Yeah, it'd hurt my plans of knocking off most of the hours needed as an intern to join the guild this summer, but since Texas is a non-guild right-to-work state anyways I may be able to find an internship down in Austin working for the local metal station instead of trying to fake my way through a summer at a public radio jazz station out here in So-Cal. I know nada about jazz. -lol-

I just hope the producers guild opens their wallets a bit to prevent the strike, but considering what what the writers guild went through, and the refusal on the part of the producers guild to give SAG a better new contract last week, I doubt they'll be willing to give the TV/Radio guild any more money either. The writers strike hurt the local economy enough, if SAG and the TV/Radio performers guild both go on strike in June, well LA's gonna be screwed. I may end up moving outta So-Cal sooner than expected if things get bad enough.

Least I have the option of going to live with my dad over the summer though, he was cool enough about it when I called him tonight. And if the worst goes down I know I can always get a job working at the local pizza hut, since I worked there through high school all I'd need is a bit of a refresher course on making pizza. -lol-

No worries though, I'm gonna be chilling with some of my peeps all weekend to eat pizza, drink vodka, and smoke a few blunts while watching the Ren and Stimpy box sets. That should help put things into perspective a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guilds/Unions Suck!   Guilds/Unions Suck! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guilds/Unions Suck!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Meah Wrestling's Official Forums :: Random Balls-
Jump to: