Meah Wrestling's Official Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meah Wrestling's Official Forums

www.meahwrestling.com

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do NWA Championships still matter?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bischy
Bischy

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Do NWA Championships still matter? Empty
PostSubject: Do NWA Championships still matter?   Do NWA Championships still matter? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:27 am

Before anyone flames me over the past prestige of NWA titles, know that I do have a great deal of respect for the legacies of the straps. That's not in question here. What is in question is if the titles are worth more than the materials their made from? Are any of the old NWA straps still with creditability as major indy titles now?

For example; Current NWA World Women's Champion is also the current SHIMMER Champion, MsChif. To me, the SHIMMER title is more prestigious, and it's a top indy woman's title. The NWA World Woman's strap seems like it'd be mid-card at best defended at a SHIMMER show, even with the same woman holding both straps.

I'm not saying that the NWA straps are equal to a similar title from WWE or TNGay anymore, but shouldn't the NWA straps at least get built up to be the tops amongst the indies and smaller promotions?

Or would it be for the best to just end the NWA's involvement as an active 'governing body' among indy/small promotions and change it to something more like a official record-keeping and wrestling history organization acting as an outside third party to ensure fair record keeping as well as placing the NWA in charge of future pro wrestling Hall of Fame inductions.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Blaustifft
Admin
Blaustifft

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Do NWA Championships still matter?   Do NWA Championships still matter? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 4:24 pm

NWA has sadly being a dying breed for years and years now, seems that rather than just letting go, they are clinging on for dear life to a past name that actually meant something in the wrestling world.

Personally I think it's time to let the new generation become the new generation and leave the past in the halls of fame.
Back to top Go down
MoneyInc
MoneyInc

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Do NWA Championships still matter?   Do NWA Championships still matter? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 6:57 pm

The problem has been their activity ever since Vince went national and basically emasculated them.

They tried sticking with JCP/WCW, but associating with early '90s WCW would do NO-ONE'S credibility any good. After that, they got shown up by ECW via Shane Douglas trashing the NWA name after winning their world title. They were so obscure for the rest of the '90s I doubt many people are aware that Dan Severn was their World Champion for 4 years! They recently came back into the limelight with TNA, and we all know how that turned out!

WWE is recognised as the market leader. TNA is seen as a (distant) second main player. When anyone speaks of the glorious NWA, they are talking about the NWA pre-1984: when the NWA was king of the hill. It's history post-1984 has been anything but glorious, and the organisation's loss of prestige affects the title's prestige.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/MoneyIncChannel
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do NWA Championships still matter?   Do NWA Championships still matter? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do NWA Championships still matter?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Meah Wrestling's Official Forums :: ROH and Indys-
Jump to: